Saturday, March 30, 2024

Run 159 - Saturday morning in the Heights

March 30, 2024

It’s another Saturday morning run and it’s back to Billings Heights to work through some more streets for this project.  Shelley and I were joined by Katie who ran some of the mid-town routes for us last year.  We met at the Skyview High School parking lot at 7:20 and set out on this route:


Of course the map doesn’t show it but it’s not all flat out there.  The weather was a chilly 28° at the start with a bit of a freezing mist but unlike last week the sidewalks and streets were free of ice.  About 3/4 of the way through the run it started snowing.  I like these conditions much better that any heat over 68°.

It’s not really a photogenic route but I did take a few photos.

This first one is unusual for the Heights as it’s rare to see anything that might be classified as “yard art” in that part of town.


This is looking east on Morocco Drive,


Katie and Shelley on Siesta Circle.


A walk break Gleneagles Blvd.


The snow is starting to accumulate.  This is approaching the corner of Fantan and Sierra Granda.


In this part of the Heights, many streets dead end like this on the north end of Morocco.


Turning the corner of Sierra Granda and High Sierra.


Look toward St. John’s Wyndstone facility.


Harvest Church in the background from Andele Street.


We arrived back at the Skyview High parking lot with 6.2 miles behind us.  Katie had to leave to meet some friends for a walk on the Rims but I gave her some of my fresh-baked cranberry scones before she took off.  Shelley, who is still training for a half marathon, wanted to do 2 more miles and since I’d made a map for that, off we went.  Here’s the route:



This will take us through streets we haven’t done yet and introduce us to a new neighborhood that is northwest of the school.  Here’s the front of Skyview High.


We were getting near the end when I took this photo.  That the Lutheran church on the left and the Wyndstone facility on the right.  We are near the corner of West Wicks and Siesta.


Wyndstone.


We went around the north side of the school and through some trees to where we could see the parking lot.


Not a bad distance and we felt pretty good.  I always like to ask myself how much more I had left and I definitely could have gone another 2  mile to give me a 10-miler.  These 8 mile runs are getting me back in distance shape.



A side note:  We traveled from my house to the school and back with the new version, 12.3, of the Full Self Driving feature in my Tesla MY.  It handled 98% of the drive there and back without issue.  A great upgrade.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Run 169 - North and east of Primrose Park in the Heights

April 30, 2024 It was a beautiful morning after a light rain over night.  Shelley and I met up at Primrose Park at 6 am to work on this map:...