Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Run 078 - West End on the 4th

July 4, 2023

It’s a Tuesday and my regular Tuesday running partner is unavailable so I decided to knock off some west end streets for this project.  I mapped out a run, wanting about 7 miles, and thought this looked pretty good.


I didn’t notice until I was well into the run that it was set on km rather than miles.  More about that later.  I drove the ‘59 Volvo over to Boulder School and parked in their lot.


I got on my way through the neighborhoods.




I think this place on Poly has been quiet for a long time.


Looks like a rest area.





This is the alley behind Boulder School.


I got to 32nd and Parkhill and had to do an out and back on Parkhill.  On the way back these two little, innocent-looking girls threw a firecracker that went off right behind me.  I stopped, turned around, and told them that what they did was illegal and I was taking their picture and turning it over to the police.  The one on the right doesn’t look that impressed by what I said.


I continued on and a few blocks later I figured out that the distance was km and not miles.  OK, I figured that I’d get this portion of the run done, go home and make a map, and do a Part 2.



4.4 miles for Part 1.



I went home, made up another map and headed back out.


This portion is very straight forward but I found a change along the way that shorthand it up.  It turned out that those two dead end streets on the lower left are connect by a green space so I took advantage of that.  





I ran back up to Avenue D and on the east end of it I had to go down Judd Circle, another other dead end but found a sidewalk shortcutting to Avenue C.  Nope, I wasn’t going to take it and went back up to Ave E and down Rehberg to C since I had to get that short piece of Judd between Ave D and Ave E.  All for 30 feet of road!!!

I headed west on Ave C that goes under a row of linden trees in front of a retirement home.  They smelled nice.


I got on Grand and looped back to Rehberg where I’d left my car.  Here’s the results of this portion:



That makes for 7.08 miles, which was my target distance for the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Run 169 - North and east of Primrose Park in the Heights

April 30, 2024 It was a beautiful morning after a light rain over night.  Shelley and I met up at Primrose Park at 6 am to work on this map:...